[at-l] Near-Winter hiking, was Winter Hiking

Jan,

You have been given a lot of great advice. Of what I read, none was "bad
advice". Since we seem to be a lot alike, both from Florida, both low body
mass, and both concerned with staying warm, I can share a few things.

Several people said "wear a hat". Let me add my voice, "wear a warm hat".
Especially to bed.

Number two, "stay dry". You WILL NOT stay dry by hiking faster, you will
sweat, then chill. To paraphrase Nimblewill, hike as long as it keeps you
warm, if it doesn't, get in your sleeping bag. Which by the way, normally
means in your tent.

Three, fuel. If you are like me, and it sounds like you are, lots of high
calorie high fat food before bedtime. Chocolate comes to mind....

The only thing that wasn't covered much by others was tent life. This takes
some practice, preferably at home. Learn a method that works for you where
you can be in or under your sleeping bag, inside your tent, while you are
cooking outside of the tent.

My solo tent does not have a real vestibule, but I have found that I can
pitch my tent to provide sufficient shelter for the stove in all but a
downpour without risking setting my tent on fire. I sit in the doorway with
my sleeping bag over me like a blanket and cook. If my bag were only an inch
or so wider, I would be able to wear it and sit cross-legged. If you can't
find a way to do this in your Nomad, carry an extra fly and rig it above the
doorway to make a vestibule.

Winter hiking is different than the other three seasons. You will not get
away with a seventeen pound pack so get used to the idea of having to add a
few pounds to ensure not only warmth, but survival. My summer pack weight is
about twenty pounds more or less, up to 27 for late fall, and 45 for winter.

Lee I Joe