[at-l] No info?

Sly--

The three I mentioned are just the most recent ones, and are apropos
to the recent threads about the content (or lack thereof) of the list.

The advice about packing the right attitude (which all three recent
posts touched on in slightly different ways) seems to me to be the
most germane.  Info on food drops, pack weight, gear etc. is
available in many different places.  As I read more journals and talk
to more LD hikers, I notice that those choices don't affect the
outcome of a hike nearly as much as a hiker's determination to
finish, acceptance of the hardships inherent in spending long amounts
of time in outdoor primitive conditions, and having the flexibility
to adapt to changing/unexpected circumstances.

When I use the word attitude, I'm trying to fine one word to describe
the qualities mentioned above, not necessarily the dreaded
"thru-hiker 'tude" which by-the-way many of us who work on the trail
find extremely annoying--and interestingly in far more non-thruhikers
than actual thru hikers.  People are people. A person can be driven,
self centered, goal oriented, even obsessed and still be polite,
respectful of others and open to positive human to human interaction.
Or not.

So Sly,  I've strayed from your question a bit--apologies.  Put it
down to pre-coffee anticipation this morning.  It's very unlikely I
personally would be a successful thru hiker--'tho I do suffer from a
touch of Springer fever as the snow begins to melt around here.  I
don't have many of the qualities I've listed above, and my "hiking
attention span" seem to be stuck at about 6 or 7 consecutive days.
So I'll stand back and admire other's perseverance.

Cosmo

At 7:23 PM -0500 12/12/02, Slyatpct@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 12/12/2002 3:56:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>Cosmo.A.Catalano@williams.edu writes:
>
>>If I ever attempt a thru (unlikely as it is), the advice from Jim,
>>Mags, Twilight and others will be at at the top of my packing list.
>>

>Cosmo,
>
>I'm curious, out of all the experience on this list, what particular
>advice from these three would you follow?  And/or the others?
>
>Sly

Cosmo