[at-l] SOBOs vs. NOBOs, was Advise AT2004

>You want to thruhike?  Go find a thruhiker - talk to them.  Listen to what
>they say - and to what they don't say.  "Feel" the attitude, >the
>determination, the sheer stubbornness, the love for the Trail, the
>excitement.

Hmmm.  That makes me wonder if SOBO's have a leg up.  I had always thought
that Southbounders enjoyed a higher completion rate (my guess, I have no
idea if this is REALLY true) because we began (as a group) with tougher
characters and more stuborn constitutions.

Now I am thinking that perhaps the examples and stories of the northbound
role models coming up the Trail may been as big a big factor.

Who knows?  In reality there are probably way to many variables to get a
handle on.  Is it a coincidence that Felix was a SOBO?  I think not
;-).

In any event, I do think that the SOBO experience is by definition far
different than that of Northbounders.  Especially in the critical first 3 or
4 weeks.

Rick B

First a Boudrie
Next an American