[at-l] Re: water filters...

> True when I want a coliform test done I just send it down to
> another lab in
> our organization. Here in Florida I think you get a free test done by the
> Health Department when you pay for the decidedly not-free well
> permit. By I
> don't think a coliform test would cost $95 down here, I'd guess its
> something in the $50 range.
>
> Bryan

What started this discussion was the idea that thruhikers would take samples
and ship them off when they hit town. There is no question that locals can
manage to get samples and get them to testing companies in an expeditious
manner and maybe find a free cooperator. The logistics for a thruhiker doing
anything useful are dubious. They can't afford the likely fees; they may not
get to an overnight mailer fast enough, they won't know where to send it;
etc.

Then there is the marking problem. To be useful the results of the test have
to get back to the source on the trail where the sample was taken and be
posted in some manner that the next hiker can use the information. We see
successful tests followed by unsuccessful tests a month apart so any program
has to be done repeatedly (also a requirement for a public water system).
One could easily question the sign pollution problem if there is a water
safety sign at every conceivable source.