Re[2]: [at-l] Water filters...

Another problem is the assumption that all diarrhea is giardia. Food
poisoning, coliform bacteria transmission and other risks are not
considered by the water treatment vendors. Giardia rarely is
symptomatic within one week, and often requires incubation for several
weeks  - if the carrier ever becomes clinically ill. It is a difficult
bug to isolate, rarely worth the bother and expense when a few dollars
of Flagyl will resolve it and other parasitic infestations. Dogs often
carry Giardia, and an immunization for our pets is available - sold as
a means of protecting the household. Yet most giardia comes from
environmental sources such as daycare, schools, nursing homes and the
like.

The number of steps involved with water treatment demonstrates the
benefit of K.I.S.S. Probably the ideal treatment is the inline filter,
allowing a dirty water bag to be connected to the filter, thence to the
mouthpiece without opportunity for cross contamination. There are many
problems with that system, such as freezing and occlusion of the filter
after fairly short useage.

Handwashing is still important, but the use of alcohol gels rather than
soap is an effective and more realistic procedure. We want toileting to
occur distant from water sources. Soap requires a water source. Alcohol
gels do not. Alcohol gels are quick and effective. Even surgeons have
figured out that quick and convenient work well. K.I.S.S.

Bill...