[at-l] Water filters...

thru-thinker wrote:

1)  I believe someone a while back did a controlled statistical analysis
comparing the stomach problem results for three groups of
hikers/campers: (a) filter users, (b) chemical users, and (c) those who
drank it straight . . . if I remember correctly, there was no
statistically significant difference in the percentages who came down
with stomach/intenstinal illnesses . . .

Panzer says:
I also read about  this study in a book on hiking the AT(I forget the
title now)  But, I can not believe it.
What I cannot believe is that there was no significant difference.  It
seems to be that there would
have to be some kind of a difference in the outcomes.  It would actually
be easier for me to
believe that the people who treated water got the sickest that to
believe that there was no signigicant
difference.  Treating the water must effect the outcome in some way,
either for better or worse, but I
cannot believe that it would be the same.  I believe this study must be
flawed in some way.  I would
have to see many more studies confirming this before I could believe it.

Panzer (the doubter)