[at-l] AT mileage

--
Hey Marcia,

Welcome to the at-l!

I think you'll find the AT a lot more physical, overall, than either the CDT
or PCT.  From what I understand both the western trails have approximately
330,000 feet of elevation gain while the AT is well over 400,000.  The trail
may be 500 miles shorter, but don't ask your knees, just be prepared to take
lots of Ibuprofen.  It's also very hot and humid in the summer months.  Of
course, it's much easier to follow, there'll the white blaze every few
hundred feet, so it's pretty much a no brainier.  Typically, a 20 mile day on
the western trails translates into 15 mile day on the AT.

I think you'll find the AT a fantastic trail.  It's great hiking.  The beauty
is much more subtle than the western trails with mostly deciduous forest and
the people and infrastructure are wonderful, almost to a fault.

When you're in the southern Appalachians, let me know and I'll come out and
visit.

Sly