[at-l] AT mileage

Hi Marcia,

The daily mileages are usually less on the AT than on
the CDT/PCT.  There are few swithcbacks and some
hand-over-hand climbing in NH and ME.  From Springer
to Damascus, your mileage will be about 75% of the
CDT/PCT mileage due to steep up & downs (some say
PUDs).  From Damascus to Hanover, your mileage will
increase to about 90% of your CDT/PCT mileage.  From
Hanover to Stratton, your mileage will be about 70% of
your CDT/PCT mileage.  For instance, according to
Flyin Brian's website, his mileage slowed to the high
teens north of Gorham.

For general resupply information, go to the online
Companion:  http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm
You will notice that there are a lot of sub
shops/pizza places/convenience stores a few miles from
the trail between PA and MA.  When I did my planning,
I thought that there was no way I'd get off the trail
to visit the sub shops.  When I was on the trail,
there was no way I wouldn't stop at the sub shops.

Some of my mileages - 5 months for the 2200 mile AT, 4
1/2 months for the 2600 mile PCT, 5 months for the
2800? mile CDT.  Max mileage - 26 mi/day on AT, 32
mi/day on the PCT 28 mi/day on the CDT.

Differences - In addition to few switchbacks, the AT
tread is more slippery.  I probably fell over 100
times more on the AT than I did on the CDT.  There are
more ups and downs - no two tracks or NM roadwalks on
the AT!  The resupply options are far more extensive
on the AT.  There are excellent supermarkets and
outfitters in some of the trail towns.  The white
blazes are easy to follow - no route finding or GPS
skills needed.  You'll be in water nirvana compared to
the PCT or CDT.  There's good water virtually
everywhere on the trail.  The weather is also a lot
wetter than the CDT/PCT.  You'll have the option of
using the shelters on the AT.  The thru hiking window
is a lot wider on the AT.  Thru hikers start from
Springer between January and June (March to May most
common), and finish between July and October.  The PCT
and CDT hiking windows are more narrow.

Have a great time on the AT.  Tell Ken I said hello.

Camel AT 98
Starman PCT 00
Tim CDT 02