[at-l] help...

Walter Daniels wrote:
>This whole ramble certainly misses the point of most environmentalists.
>Good gas mileage is good but zero usage is always better. Since we aren't
>likely to get to zero usage, then 50% less usage might be achievable and
>clearly 50% better gas mileage of those that are driven is achievable, so
>you get a net result of 1/4 of the pollution - an achievable goal by
>pressing hard on both issues.

Not quite, Walt.

Statistically, for every mile per gallon increase in gas mileage, there's a
2% increase in "miles driven" that at least partially offsets the effects of
the mpg increase. A 10 mpg gas mileage increase would result in a 20%
increase in "miles driven".

The "50% less usage" would require a massive change in the economic
structure of this country. I won't speak to whether you'd like the results,
but there are very few people on this list or off it who would.  Try
projecting the lifestyle and economic impact of a 50% reduction in "miles
driven" on this country.  How many industries devastated?  How many people
out of work?  How many homeless?  How many children starving?  No more
driving to get to trails - or trail work.  No more vacations in Yellowstone.
  One trip per year (by overcrowded bus) to visit Grandma.  It's not a
pretty sight.  Kinda reminds me of the Third World - and I have no desire to
join that World.  Been there.

Also, there's also nothing "clear" about the 50% better gas mileage of those
that are driven.  That's a set of problems that have yet to be solved - and
may never be.  And the problems are NOT all technical.

So - overall you'll get considerably more than the 1/4 of present  pollution
that you theorize and probably less than a 1/4 reduction in present levels
via this particular solution.  Get out of the box.  Boxes limit ones vision
and shackle the future.

Walk softly,
Jim