[at-l] Help...

Reference Adam Szczepanski's post, dated 12-6-02.

This essay is unrealistic.  The thinking underlying this essay is fine if
you live in a city and walk or take a cab to work, goods, and services, AND
assume everyone else can or wants to do the same thing.  O.K., you're right,
the essay's thesis also works for some close-in suburbs.

The statement "(W)e are going to need walkable neighborhoods, towns and
villages... " is the only fully formed allusion to a major part of the
problem.   Most people drive frequently.  Many people routinely drive
extensive distances.

Urban society has changed.  I commuted 66 miles each way to work, 132 miles
each day, often seven days a week.  I felt ambivalent.  I consumed enormous
quantities of gasoline, but living in a rural area kept me sane.  I could
leave "the stupid wealthy" in the city.  (These are the same people to whom
Cadillac advertisements are currently targeted.)

I retired almost 8 years ago.  At that time, when I arrived about half way
home, I could see at most 3 cars in front of me and 3 cars behind me.  Since
that time, roads have been widened, traffic lights have been installed, and
about twenty housing developments have been constructed after my then
half-way point.  Traffic now comes to a halt during both rush hours.  It is
common to come to a complete halt on the Interstate 32 miles outside the
city.

I represent a greater part of the problem than miles per gallon.  I'm not
alone.

Rapid transit will lnot work given our current thinking.  Rapid transit
means increased taxes.  Politicians have ridden "No New Taxes" to death.

Steve