[at-l] AT "Wild Man" On CNN

--

    The other night Connie Chung featured a man who lives alone way out in
the woods with no electricity somewhere in the Appalachians. He uses oil
lamps, a wood stove, and a horse for all his needs. He has lived in the woods
for 20 years since he was 17. He hunts deer, turkeys, squirrels and other
creatures for food and grows a garden for canning.

      In the interview he explained how he had decided on impulse one year to
do the Appalachian Trail southbound from Maine. He said he really didn't know
what he was getting in to and was under-equipped and supplied. He then
explained how hunger drove him to kill a porcupine he came across on the
Trail and eat it. Connie had her jaw hanging when he described how he smashed
the porcupine's skull with a club and built a fire to cook it. I could tell
she was borderline about who she was interviewing, especially when he
mentioned being so hungry that he broke off an uncooked leg to eat before it
was cooked! They never finished the Trail talk and went on to discuss life
around his cabin...

     I forget the man's name. He had long hair and a big smile when talking
-like someone who was living in natural bliss. Did anybody meet him on the
Trail?