From: Jan Leitschuh
Date: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 7:35:06 AM
To: AT-List; Lamar Powell
Subject: Re: [at-l] Titanium Silicone

Well, I'm here to tell you the new clear titanium silicone caulk works.
It has a "lifetime" guarantee vs. the mere 50-year guarantee of the plain
silicone sealer, LOL. It's supposed to be more flexible. It cost about 60
cents more, so I was curious and bought some.

Anyway, yesterday I laid everything out on my upper deck, a regular silnylon
fest of thin, colored material. I mixed the ti-sil caulk 50/50 with some
mineral spirits, via a paint mixer on a battery drill. I did a little test
on a small zip camera bag first. And then I had a seam-sealing orgy.

- Sealed my new Nomad 2-4-2, which looks way cool, and very roomy for its
footprint. (Can anyone see any reason to seal any other seams beside the
four roof seams, the patches and the floor/tent juncture?) Dotted the
interior floor with sealer.
- Did my Moonbow silnylon gaiters and silnylon mitt covers, then added a
little cross-hatching so they wouldn't be slick.
- Did all my silnylon stuff sacks.
- Did my foodbag
- Did the new orange ATC pack cover, so now I won't get either shot OR wet.

That's a lotta stuff. I like the McNett's "Sil-Nett" normally, but the local
outfitter didn't have any seam sealer that would work on silnylon. Also, the
1.5-oz. tubes usually run out before one large project is completed.

This cost me the $4.27 for the entire caulk tube, about what a small tube of
seam sealer costs. I had the mineral spirits left over from the last time I
had a seam-sealing orgy, (ah, the simple pleasures of country living... )

So, everything is a little heavier now, but it's the best weight I carry.