Re[4]: [at-l] Fwd: NOT Snowmobiles -

>"...Either you DON'T really hike on trails, or you are obviously lying... which
>is it..? tell US..! " urges Jeff.

Hey,  Jeff.  Calm  down.  Read the post again. I was speaking of a very specific
trail,  on land bought by a land trust that I founded, and which last spring was
being destroyed by ATVs.

The  simple  fact  is I haven't found any trash in areas that are unreachable by
machines  on  those  particular eight miles of trail. That doesn't mean no trash
has  been deposited. 400 people donated an average of $500 each to buy the land.
I  suspect  that  most  users  are drawn from this cadre of folks, though we are
lately  getting  quite  a  few  organized groups of bird watchers from a 50 mile
radius. Given the very select nature of these two groups, I suspect many of them
just naturally bend over and pick up any trash they may spy.

I  know some hikers are sloppy. I oversee the maintenance of 60 miles of the AT.
My  cadre  of  maintainers regularly remove trash left by hikers -- though 99.99
percent  of  it  is  left  at shelters, not on the trail, especially at shelters
easily  reached  from  roads  and  highways.  MATC  has been forced to tear down
several  shelters  located near roads because they have been trashed so badly --
presumably by folks who arrive by car to have a party in the woods.

Only  sections  of trail within a mile of roads seem to collect a lot of litter.
Perhaps you can explain why this is so.

Weary