[at-l] Fwd: Snowmobiles - LONG

--
In a message dated 11/21/02 11:23:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rickboudrie@hotmail.com writes:

> Some things should be obvious.  We don't want a hotdog cart in front of the
> Vietnam Memorial Wall, for example.  It would be foolish to suggest that
> because people are there, why not a food cart.  We would see that
> immediately.  Other comparisons require more introspection, like the
> appopriateness of snowmobiles at Yekllowstone.

Rick -

My uncle and aunt live about an hour and a half from Yellowstone in Wyoming,
are lifelong environmentalists and enjoy both snowmobiling and hiking in the
park, so I have not gotten into this discussion since I have no idea what my
opinion is.

I take it you've not been to DC lately and seen the hot dog stand between the
Lincoln and Korean memorials.  Heaven forbid people should have to walk a
couple of feet to get a hot dog.  We collectively get in this country what
people complain about most to their regulators that they want (or that the
regulators believe is needed).  Sometimes that's a good thing - like the park
system or the various memorials, sometimes not...  On balance, we still have
a better system for decision making, with all its warts, than most countries.

Black&blue