[at-l] Fwd: Snowmobiles - LONG

At 03:31 PM 11/21/2002 -0500, rick boudrie wrote:

>After a public comment period, the NPS review the sudies and identified the
>"preferred alternative", which was not well recieved by the so-called
>"snowmobile lobby".  Barring suscsessful legal remedies, the NPS preferred
>alternativve would normally have become the management plan of the park.
>
>But that did not happen, if I understand things correctly.  Basically, the
>administration overruled the National Park Service plan.  The solution that
>the Park Service came up with by way of the EIS process was rejected, and
>that of the politicians put in place.

So if I contribute enough to a politician I can do anything I want in a
National Park because the politician will overrule any Park Service
objections, even those based on extensive studies.  Cool!  That's a great
way to preserve wild lands and the Park Service could save money by firing
all those people they pay to study things and determine what is the best
course of action.  I love the concept or would if I had the kind of bucks
to buy my own politician.  (Yes, that is sarcasm).