[at-l] Wanderlust and Kurt Russell

I haven't had to put my 2-4-2 to that vigorous a test, yet.

However, both my earlier Kurt built tents have stood-up to a number of
storms with great results.

The 242 is my third Nomad.  So, that should give you some idea of my
opinion.

I have used the Nomad, since they first became available.

All of my Nomads are three-season tent.  However, I have pushed the first
two into mild four-season use -- with good success.

The first Nomad I had was the earliest model with the single front window
and the small vent in the back.  The first two times out turned out to be n=
more than a pitching practice and were no test of the tent itself.  Both
overnighters were sleep-under-the-stars nights -- in January yet.  I pitche=
the tent, just in case the weather turned, but I did not need it -- sleepin=
out instead.

First real test came in February.  Overall, it worked quite well under very
adverse conditions, for a three season tent, 18* w/ winds to 30+ mph, plus =
light snow overnight.

I had to pitched it in a twenty plus mph wind, in the dark -- a whole lot
trickier than the daytime pitches earlier, much less than the pre-woods
practices in the living room and in my backyard during the day.  Luckily,
the snow did not start until later.  The best judgment on my performance is
that I got it up.

It stayed up under harsh conditions.  As the temperature dropped and the
wind rose, it did a lot of flapping, but stayed put.  It is never going to
be as rigid as a dome, or one of the other tightly stretched multi-pole
freestanding tents.  Need that; carry more weight.  Need a bombproof
single-wall, get a Stephenson.  The bottom line was that I had shelter and =
stayed dry.  [BTW: a lesson learned for me was "adjust the length of the
hiking poles at the wider-diameter (upper as you walk; lower as you pitch
the tent) telescoping adjustment point."  I had trouble getting enough grip
on the small pole segment to lock them tight.  Earlier, under still
conditions, they had worked OK -- they just needed to hold up a very light
tent.  That weekend however, the strength of the wind forced the lee-side
pole to collapse -- ever so slowly.  At first, I thought I had not pitched
it right.  I may be a little slow; but in my defense, it was doing its thin=
in the dark, as I slept.  When I realized what was happening, I took the
poles out of the socket one at a time (holding the tent up with my head), I
got a good grip, I really locked the small friction clamp, I reinserted
them, I readjusted them at the big friction clamp, and I went back to sleep
(w/ no further problem).

It is not sold as a four-seasons tent and I had it out in near four-seasons
conditions.  I would not recommend it in heavy snow conditions, but unless
the weight of the snowfall becomes a factor, it will do for four-seasons fo=
me.

I did not a lot of condensation in these conditions.  Just light frost
coating the inside over my head and at the foot where my sleeping bag
touched the tent.  I suspect that I could have wiped the inside dry with a
small camp towel, had it been above freezing.

My next over night trip was cool w/ light rain and light wind -- rather
typical of early three-season hiking.  Again, the performance was good.  I
pitched it in the rain.  I got it up w/o much water inside.  Pitching when
it was still light helped.  A bit more condensation in the AM; or maybe it
just seemed that way, as it was not frozen.  Since then, I have had it (and
its successor) out in various levels of humidity and with less wind to
support ventilation.  I never had more condensation than I could handle wit=
a small camp towel.

Overall, I was quite happy with its performance.  I did a lot of hiking wit=
it.  However, when Kurt came out with a new design for taller folk, I
upgraded.

In January of=9200, I got a chance to field test my new model Nomad MII.  A=
ll
I can say is great tent.

Although I loved the original Nomad, I found it a tad short.  This one is
long enough and has even better ventilation.

This test was not a demanding as my first night in the original model, as i=
was only in the twenties with no real wind or precipitation.  However, in
some ways it was a better condensation test - which it passed with flying
colors.  Again not a lot of condensation in these conditions.  Just light
frost coating the inside over my head and this time sleeping bag did not
touch the tent at the foot.  I suspect that I could have wiped the inside
dry with a small camp towel, had it been above freezing. OTOH, I know folk
who could not stand the condensation.

I don't have enough data to support a conclusion, but anecdotal information
suggests that the condensation could be a function of how "warm" or "cold"
you sleep.  Everyone I met who complained about too much condensation used
more bag than I, for the conditions.  They complained about the cold.  I'm
just speculating here, but I think their excess condensation was a factor o=
sleeping with so much insulation that they sweated all night.  This theory
is also supported by the fact that I occasionally use a vapor barrier insid=
my bag, to extend its range.  When I do, there is nearly no condensation.

I must have a thing for first trips in a three season tent in the forth
season.  It is not sold as a four-seasons tent and I have had the original
model out in near four-seasons conditions.  Again, I would not recommend it
in heavy snow conditions, but unless the weight of the snowfall becomes a
factor, it will do for four-seasons for me.

It was surprisingly roomy, even more so than my other Nomad I'm a six foote=
and I had plenty of room for all my winter gear inside -- albeit I left my
large external outside.  Even with the older model, I took my internal
inside in warmer weather and will have no problem doing so with this one.
With this one, I suspect the external would fit, but will continue to leave
it out to reduce wears, as it had more hard parts to do damage.

Since then, I have had it out in a wide range of conditions.

In March '01, I weathered a blowing rain, sleet, snowstorm that defeated
other tents in the trail crew.  I had a good night, whereas even the folk i=
the shelter had problems with blowing snow.

The last major challenge was this past summer on Konnarock Crew during the
June flood on Firescald.  I stayed dry in a virtual washout.  No other tent
came close.

I got my new 242 shortly before my blood clot and only had it out for one
overnight.  No condensation.  No wind to test the flapping.

It is a pyramid rectangular based tent rather than the earlier diamond
shaped Nomads.  So, there might be more flapping.

Chainsaw