[at-l] The NPS and AT and Vision

"...  E.  O. WIlson's latest book "The future of Life" has a first chapter which
is an open lettter to HDT." reports Rick B.

An  incredibly  fine  book.  Perhaps  potentially  the most important book to be
published this year -- perhaps this decade.

Though  there  is only one reference to the AT, several pages dealing with human
reactions  to  landscapes  are pertinent to the AT and discussions on this list.
They  changed  my  perceptions  about  the nature of wildness and wilderness and
human reaction to degrees of wildness.

I'm  not  going  to  tell  you the details of how my perceptions changed. I want
people  to  read the book themselves. But think about where and how humans lived
during  the  first million years that our species and predecessor species lived.
What environment, what landscape, did their genes evolve to most appreciate?

Weary