[at-l] Camera choices

On Friday, November 1, 2002, at 03:14 PM, Shane Steinkamp wrote:

>> obsolescence means they don't make or support the
>> software or the hardware anymore ... it falls
>> within the "legacy" (YOU AREN'T THE BOSS OF ME!)
>> category ...
>>
>> it still makes great pics, you just can't enjoy them
>> anymore ...
>
> Actually, this won't be as much of a problem as you might think.  Sure,
> all
> of my old software is junk and won't run anymore, but I can still read
> all
> my text files and see all the images from that time.  The image formats
> are
> standards that don't change over time.  (jpg, bmp, tiff)  Some formats
> change (like Microsoft Word files) and you have to keep upgrading the
> software and upgrading the files.  If you keep up with the technology,
> you
> won't get stuck.

I'm still using a Nikon Coolpix 100 bought cheap around
6 years ago.  It has no LCD screen so you can't see the pictures
right when you take them, but that means it also doesn't eat
batteries.  It's been running on the same 4 AA batteries for
several years.. maybe since I got it, I can't remember.

It means I have to keep around a computer with  PCMCIA slot,
which isn't all that common anymore.  But that's pretty much
the only drawback to this "old" camera, IMHO.  :)  The jpg format
pictures it makes are fine for my use.  It doesn't take professional
quality pictures, but I'm not a professional photographer.

If you're curious how good (or bad) the pictures taken on
a six year old cheap digital camera look, you can peek
at some on my website.  Most of them were taken with this camera.
Here's an example:
http://askowronek.home.mindspring.com/cats/troubleontheprowl.jpg

-amy