[at-l] Camera choices

> > Actually some image formats do change over time.  JPEG has
> > changed at least once that I know about.

And one of the important things to remember is that the problems someone
mentioned had to do with opening NEW images - backwards compatibility is
usually pretty good. New, better formats may come along, but, the old
formats are still going to be supported. Similarly, while you may
encounter some obsolence - in that its not the latest and greatest -
your camera is going to keep working for a while. Many peripherals
(like, say, a cammera =-)  ) that have windows 95 drivers as their most
recent can still be run under XP (and non-microsoft o/s's are even
better with backwards support for peripherals).

So, my point is - obsolence isnt a factor. period. By the time that it
may get to be a factor software-wise, your computer hardware isnt going
to be capable of running the latest-and-greatest. Just keep the old
computer for syncing your camera if you have to.

sorry, small rant. I'd been keeping quiet long enough. =-)

(all that said, I used an olympus stylus epic zoom 80 with slide film &
bought a scanner to scan in all my pictures. why? because im insane, and
wanted the resolution "just in case" - you know, in case I decide to
print my decidely amateur efforts as an 18x20 print or something =-)  )

--sugardaddy