[at-l] Hiking and mental status

> I've heard/read that a long hike can make some people very self confident
> and happy, while at the same time make some very depressed and anxious.

I feel all of those things when I'm hiking, often on the same day, sometimes
all at the same time. I think on a day-to-day or hour-by-hour basis, it
depends on food, water, weather, companions, weather. destination, problems
at home, weather, trail difficulty, the view, weather, and almost anything
else you can list. On a long-term basis, hiking makes me deliriously happy
and relaxed. Longer hiking makes me more so. I'm having a harder time
imagining long hikes making anyone depressed, but I'm willing to be
enlightened.

Ken

Oh, and thanks to everyone who mentioned Miss Janet as a contact in Erwin.
I've emailed her for shuttle info.