Re[2]: [at-l] LOTR

--

[rafe]
>"...Still,  let's  not  overlook  the  obvious  flaw in the analogy: The
>fate of
>Middle Earth hinged on the success of Frodo's mission" thinks Terrapin.

[Weary]
>What?  Are  you  saying  that our wanderings between Springer and Katahdin
>don't
>help  prolong  the  survival  of  a  republican form of government and a
>healthy
>earth?

Now that you mention it, I guess I am saying that.
Who benefits but the hiker?

Except maybe in the sense that one might be using
fewer resources, creating less waste than back in the
"real world."

In 1990 one of my fellow thru-hikers wore the trail
name "Eco Warrior" and I kinda wondered about that.
The mere walking of the AT is not a political act.

Working on the trail or maintaining it, or lobbying for
it -- now that's a different story.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--