[at-l] Bryson, Thoreau, Tolkien. Who Next? Ayn Rand.

I actually sent one of my closest new trail friends a copy of Anthem
after we hiked in 2001 - it came up in one of our deep campfire
discussions somewhere in Virginia! :)  I love much of where Rand goes in
her books, but I cannot disavow my religious and spiritual side to the
extent she and her "true" followers do . . . I like to take her
thinkings on self-reliance, capitalism, her VERY healthy fear of
governments that try to "legislate goodness and badness," her emphasis
on personal responsibility for one's own actions, and her [very
important] assertion that obtaining wealth through real productivity is
a GOOD thing - and somehow combine that with a real religious faith . .
sorta like figuring out in one's own mind how to reconcile the Book of
Genesis with evolution - something I think can be done, if one wants it
to be done! :)

thru-thinker

thru-thinker