[at-l] Gear questions (looking for recent opinions & recommendations)

See comments below...

>From: TrailR@aol.com
>Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:50:47 EDT

>1) ...Does the Nomad light have room for a 6'2" sleeper & a pack?

I'm 6'1" and had plenty of room in my 1999 edition of the Nomad light on my
'99 thruhike.  I still use the tent and haven't seen any other lightweight
solo tents I would trade it for, yet - except maybe a newer one.  ;-)
>5) How easy is it to get Esbit tabs along the trail?

I wouldn't rely on buying Esbit tablets along the way.  While more
outfitters are carrying them, they are still far from readily available.  On
the other hand, if you're doing maildrops, they can be shipped in your
maildrop with no special handling required.  (This was how I handled my AT
hike).

>How easy to use in wind?

I had no problems using Esbit tablets in the wind though I wouldn't
recommend trying to use them without a windscreen.  My MSR windscreen works
for me.  To light the tab, I would just hold it in one hand and light the
opposite corner.  Once going, I would put it down in the stove.  Just do
this behind the windscreen in windy conditions.

>I have an old whisperlight,  an esbit & a cannister stove to choose from).
>Recommendations accepted here.

What type of "cooking" do you do?  For me, I just need something to boil
water with.  Esbit was great but if I wasn't using maildrops, I would get or
make a homemade alcohol stove.  You can get one from TinCanStoveMan at
tincanstoveman@hotmail.com .

I highly recommend figuring out what you think you might want on the trail
and try cooking it on your stove first.

Oh, and an alcohol stove can be used as an Esbit stove just by turning it
over.  Hardware cloth (wire mesh) works well as a pot stand.  The height
between Esbit tablet and pot determines how long it will burn.  I had one
tablet burn for more than 45 minutes once.  Typical burn time on a true
Esbit stove is 15 minutes.

Mara
Stitches, AT99