[at-l] compression bags

--
At 07:45 PM 9/8/2002 -0700, OB wrote:

>Evaporation is a cooling event. If the source of the heat is you, you
>will cool. If there is enough of a temperature drop, this heat sink can
>result in bad things happening to anyone. If you are lucky to get just
>a quick splash of runoff water in your tent and sleeping bag, most
>sleeping bag shells are resistant to water infiltration. I suspect that
>your experience would have been similar with any good quality down or
>synthetic bag, and much less comfortable if the temps had been closer
>to freezing.

1.  I'd have to agree that down is *particularly* useless when wet,
probably more so than most modern synthetic fill materials.

2.  That said, I've never (knock wood) had to deal with a wet down
bag while hiking.  A kitchen garbage bag is all it takes to keep the
bag dry, even in the most extreme conditions.

3.  To broaden the discussion just a wee bit... the bag (whether it
be down or synthetic) isn't the whole story.  A reliable tent is also
key to staying dry and warm.  It serves several purposes: to keep
you dry, to block the wind, and to provide yet another layer of
insulation between you and the elements.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--

---