[at-l] Cna not find a light Backpack that fits correctly

--
At 09:08 PM 9/6/2002 -0500, Tom Mantooth wrote:

>So I am left in a mess.  I want to go as light as I can but I have found
>that much of the lighter equipment would not keep me on the trail.  I
>want to carry as little as possible but I do not want to be miserable
>doing it.  I know that if I have to put up with to much misery from my
>backpack not fitting right I will never finish the trail.

Caught on the horns of the ultimate existentialist dilemma!

There's nothing for it but to groan and choose.

Sometimes I feel like a dinosaur, but I've now logged
a good 1200, maybe 1300 miles of AT using this ancient
$45 Camp Trails external-frame pack.  Your typical thru
hiker probably sees me coming up the trail with this thing
on and figures, "clueless weekend schlepper."

Ray Jardin and ultra-light notwithstanding, I cannot seem to
travel with less than 25-30 lbs. on my back, and that's before
we've counted one gram of food or water.

Your comfort is important.  A pound or two here or
there will not make or break your hike -- it's your attitude
that will determine that, most likely.

Hehe.  I also have a MountainSmith FrostFire pack --
Internal frame, like new, very high tech.  Looking to ditch it,
real cheap.  Email me offline for details, if you're interested.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--

---