[at-l] Upstate SC trails

--
At 10:23 AM 9/6/2002 -0500, TJ wrote:

>With mileage like this, some would say you are completely recovered!   30
>miles a weekend?   I hope it's flat.
>
>I really need to quit hiking the Smokies.  there, 8 mile days is a good day.

Say what?  That's where I pulled my first 20-mile day in 1990,
up near the northern end of the park.  I forget which shelter I
started at (Derek's Knob? Peck's Corner?) but I remember the
day ended at Davenport Gap Shelter.

IMHO, the stretch from Wesser to Fontana is more difficult
than anything in the Smokies.  The climb out of Sweetwater
Gap was a sonofabitch.  So was the climb out of Wesser,
but that might have been from overindulgence (two breakfasts,
plus ice cream) at NOC.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--