[at-l] Tikka vs. Aurora Headlamps

--
At 03:34 PM 9/1/2002 -0400, thru thinker wrote:

[re: "AAA batteries more sensitive to cold?"]

>my guess is that it is related to simple surface area - less battery
>volume with a lot of surface to get colder faster??
>
>thru-guesser! :)

Yes, that would stand to reason -- but it would only affect
the rate of the decline-in-power, going from warm to cold.

If the light had been left in a tent or a pack all day, and is
at steady-state temperature, then the battery's heat transfer
characteristic isn't an issue.

This phenomenon might in fact recommend lights that
have remote battery packs (and wires) so that the battery
pack can be worn next to the skin.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--