[at-l] tuna in foil

--
At 09:42 PM 8/29/2002 -0400, amy wrote:

>I have some tuna in foil packets for a short one night hike that the boys
>(all 3 of them!) and I are going to take this weekend (wish me luck). Do you
>take the tuna out of the foil and put it in a ziplock? It seems to me that
>the foil would be heavier than a ziplock.

Definitely don't remove from foil.  It's vacuum-packed.
It'll last indefinitely in the foil.  The instant the foil is
opened, the clock starts ticking.  The weight of the
foil isn't significant, really.

I mean, the contents might remain OK for a day or so,
but why risk it?

If you want low-risk meats that last safely without
refrigeration or special packaging, consider "summer
sausage" or pepperoni or other other heavily-seasoned
cold cuts.  Also, for protein, don't forget cheese.

When you're through with the tuna, that's the time to
put the empty package in a ziploc and carry it out.
That residual smell is something you want to suppress
as well as possible so as not to attract critters.  You
might even double-bag the smelliest trash items.  The
trash goes in the bear-bag along with the edibles.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--

---