-----Original Message-----
From: W F Thorneloe [mailto:thornel@attglobal.net]

The idea it to have something that is rainproof that doesn't get the wearer
wet from sweating. Gortex is a patented / trademarked fabric that allows
vapor to pass. Many feel that it is not nearly worth the weight and
expense, as dirt can clog pours and reduce its efficacy. This is
particularly true with boots. There are other competing products, including
inexpensive nylons with very small holes.

I suspect you can get a number of reviews on Gortex and competing products
via the reviews on Yahoo groups BackpackGearTest section. I may have messed
the name up slightly.

OrangeBug