[at-l] What is Gortex?

--
At 11:40 AM 8/23/2002 -0400, PMAnderson@apshealthcare.com wrote:

>also - gortex works best in dry environements.  the AT has too much humidity
>in the air to move the moisture OUT from your body thru the fabric to evap
>outside.  So, on the AT, you get few, if any, benefits from gortex.  There
>must be a decent difference in the air moisture content to get it to move to
>the 'less humid' direction.  You see benefits on other trails where the air
>is less humid and very high altitudes.
>
>one of the reasons I ditched gortex and have gone back to the old tried &
>true poncho and rain skirt & gaitors...  cheaper, lighter and more comfy,
>esp w/ my fleece jacket under the poncho!

To say that "gortex works best in dry environements" is a bit odd, I think --
after all, its primary function is protection against rain.

I haven't tried a poncho for hiking in a long time.  I'd be worried about
high winds, or having the thing snag on branches, blowdowns, etc.

There's no doubt that there are lots of varying opinions on the efficacy of
Goretex.  My personal experience is that it works best when new, and
rather less so as the stuff wears (or is subject to numerous cleaning
cycles.)  Even so, old Goretex works pretty well as a windbreaker.

On a recent trek in southern NH, I wore a very old Goretex outfit (top and
bottom) in an all-day soaking rain.  To be honest, it was quite ineffective at
keeping me dry, but I'm not sure if anything could have worked under those
circumstances.

I'm beginning to think that the best "strategy" here is to concern yourself
more with what happens after the rain stops, or when you get to shelter.
Make sure that you have dry reserve clothes to change into.  A little rain
won't kill you, but hypothermia might.

In other words, plan on getting wet while hiking, regardless of what you
do.  Your clothing probably won't stop you from getting wet, but it probably
can help you stay reasonably warm.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--