[at-l] RE: black bear attack in NY

> Don't go out without your high-powered rifle is
> the rule in polar bear country. Polar bears
> consider humans to be well up on their menu list.

A little far off the AT, but Polar bears are REALLY smart.
They can, and sometimes will, track you for days.  I have
encountered every kind of bear in this country, and some
have concerned me - but when I saw my first Polar bear, I
had a very different feeling.  A feeling like I was a prey
animal.  I'd much rather walk through any number of browns
or grizzlies than bother a lone Polar bear.

Shane