[at-l] Rat Guards (was Glossar List)

> Kahley,
>
> If you were to ask a longshoreman what the mouse thingee is they use on
> ships he would reply "it is called a rat guard".

They are made of light aluminum and each comes in two pieces which, when
assembled, become a cone shaped object attached to each mooring line - with
the pointy (closed) end pointing to the ship and the open end facing the
dock.  Thus, rats ascending the mooring line from the shoreside facility,
would be unable to advance over or around the guard, keeping the ship free
of rodents.

When a USN ship would visit at our Coast Guard Base, we would reverse the
rat guards under cover of darkness - all in good clean fun, ya know?

Al (Draggin' Anchor)