[at-l] OK...here it is

--
In a message dated 8/14/2002 11:49:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kahley@ptd.net writes:

> Purist
> Hiker who has committed to hiking past every white blaze

I disagree.  A purist is a hiker who makes a covenant with him or herself
prior to the hike and then keeps the covenant during the hike.

For example, a hiker could hike every white blaze and still not be a purist
if his or her covenant was to carry the pack all the way, but then availed
him or herself of slackpacking services later on.

Conversely, a hiker's covenant might be to hike the entire trail within the
trail corridor, and requires returning to the corridor at each point it was
left for resupply.  The hiker could avail him or herself of many blue blaze
options, and still be considered a purist for having kept his or her personal
covenant.

One could even be an AT purist and yellow blaze if that was part of the plan.

Many people make the incorrect assumption that there is only one way to be a
purist.  I would argue that it fits in with the HYOH philosophy because it
only has meaning to the individual hiker.  I would further argue that
bragging about one's pure hike is a very silly and counterproductive thing to
do.

Happy trails,

Solar Bear