[at-l] Question

Linda, I am confused on several fronts by your request.  First, on a
technical level, I too only have a "56 kbps" dialup connection, which
only really connects at about 45 kbps at best, and even a 50-page text
message downloads in about 2-3 seconds . . . it is pictures and HTML
crap, and such that slow downloads down, not a 2,3,4,5 page text trip
report . . . in short, I have no idea what you mean by taking so long to
download due to length of any text posting - the only thing that takes a
tiny bit of time is when the NUMBER of messages is large - but each text
message takes almost exactly the same time to come in, no matter if it
is one line of text or 10,000 lines of text . . . anyhow, that is my
experience.  Second, as some others have noted, these trip reports are
often of great enjoyment to many of us.  If I have had a busy day, I
might not read them, and instead save them in a AT folder, but I sure as
heck LIKE having them come in to give me the choice of deleting, reading
right then, saving for later, etc.  Back to the technical issue again
[and Maybe Ryan could speak to this - but PLEASE let's not have 20 more
messages on the techie stuff!], I honestly believe that if your concern
is how long a trip report message takes to load, there simply is not a
real issue there.  If your concern is how many messages we get each day,
well that is certainly a valid concern, but all I can say is that ever
since Shane's donation idea for list civility, and the opening up of
some alternative lists, and most everyone working at it, I get a heck of
a lot less messages each day now than I did back in the spring . . . it
has picked up a bit lately, but still nowhere near the 200+ I used to
get every 1-2 days . . .

Hope the above is of some use, and does not trigger some major flood of
additional messages, like on the hand cleaner mess where I've bitten my
toungue off several times wanting to say something like: "get real,"
dirt and germs are everywhere, and yer hands will never stay germ-free
for more than 5 minutes anyway no matter what ya try to do! :)

Hike, report, and clean on!

Thru-Thinker