[at-l] Trip Report

Returned a couple days ago from my 1st solo overnight hike.
The trail I hiked is in MI, and is an approximately 17.5 mile
loop.  It travels mostly through forest, and some meadows and
marshy areas.  I saw a few lily pads in bloom, which is a bit of
serendipity, because I guess I associate them with more exotic
climes.  It is a dual-use trail, open to mountain bikes, which
travel the loop in the opposite direction from the hiker.
Singular, since I didn't see any other hikers!  :) The terrain
is for the most part flat, with some gentle hills, a few decent
ups and downs, but I was hoping for a little more from the areas
on the map labeled "serious hills."  The biggest challenge for
me was the trail's markings, or lack thereof.  It isn't blazed;
many of the numbered marker posts have been vandalized so that
they can't be read and some of the markers didn't correspond w/
the numbering system on the map, so I took a couple little
"detours" the first day.  :) This was *just* a little daunting
for someone who is not an expert map reader to begin with, but
it worked out.

 I carried 2 liters of water and got to my stopping point just
empty, so that worked out well. I did end up taking my tent, (4
lbs. +  -- gonna change this real soon!) and if I were to do it
over, I think I would go without that weight and sleep out in my
bag.  I stayed by one of the many beautiful inland lakes, and
there was a hand pump there for water.  Being able to swim after
a long, hot, sweaty, sometimes scary day was among one of the
most indescribably delightful things I've done.  It never fails
to amaze me, when I am out, how the simplest things bring the
greatest joy.

It was quiet and peaceful as the sun set and the light faded.
This was one of the parts I was having some doubts about --
would I sleep at all? :)  I was real tired, and tried to keep my
concerns at bay.  The effect of the day's hike, plus the
relaxation from swimming, and the satisfaction of having gotten
this far, really helped.   I slept, though I did wake up a few
(ok, maybe more than a few <grin>) times, courtesy of the "night
life." :)

In the morning, I got up early and packed up.  The birds
serenaded me as I did so.  I said goodbye to the lake which kept
me "company" and had given me such a gift, and I continued on.
It was a very pleasant early morning, almost cool even, for a
small time.

When at last I came to the trailhead, it was a jolt, because it
is located near another lake which is a popular, and populated
beach area.  All those people!  And jet skis! <grin> I know I
must have had a strange look of euphoria combined with
puzzlement splashed across my face as I emerged from the trail.
As I've had time to reflect on this,  I'm wondering if maybe
part of my uncertainty about this hike came from "civilization"
being too near rather than too far ...

I made mistakes, and what I learned I think will prove to be
invaluable.  Change in shelter (already in the works) is a must.
 I brought *way* too much food.  Embarrassingly so. :)  I think
I had enough for 3 people for 2 days, perhaps!  Shoulda handed
stuff out to the bikers as they whizzed by!  This definitely
added to my pack weight unnecessarily.  (btw, I started out, w/
food & water, at 19 lbs.  Yikes!)  Also brought some things I
didn't need this hike, and didn't bring one thing I did need:  a
camera.  It was on my list, I just plain forgot it.  Fear makes
me forgetful!  :)  Most of all, though, I learned that for at
least one night, I could do this solo.   It's really difficult
to put into words what that means to me.  Thanks again to
everyone who offered such great advice w/ my gear list, and for
all the good wishes.  It was a grand  adventure for this newbie!

Denise