[at-l] mobile e-mail devices for the trail?

Hi

I am currently flipfloping the A.T. after starting my
hike a month and a half ago near Bear Mountain N.Y.
and as I plan to hike into winter I am looking for
some mobile e-mail device by which I can keep in
contact in all those long cold nights. I would like to
hear your advice about which device is suitable for
me.

My main considerations for decision are (not neccesery
in this order):
Price
Weight
Convenience in use (i.e. - the ability to easily type
the messages)
The ability to communicate on both the A.T. and the
P.C.T

I know one of the favorite options is using pocketmail
which uses payphones to receive and send the mail but
I am hoping to find another device that can
communicate along the trail without going into town.
This is specially important for me as I plan to hike
the Pacific Crest Trail in next spring and I'm not
sure which mobile devices will work there. In any case
I don't want to carry a cell phone.

Please mail me about any device you think is suitable
for me to this e-mail address (roni_h3000@yahoo.com)
as I've blocked the at-l while I'm hiking.

Thanks

Roni (from Israel)
Currently at Andover ME