[at-l] DEET

 > A new comparison of 16 products that boast bug-banishing
> properties,
> from citronella oil to a soy-based brand, finds those with DEET
> typically
> last longest and give the most protection against bites.

and

> In high concentrations, DEET can be extremely corrosive,
> irritating
> mucous membranes like those in the eyes and nose. It can even eat
> away
> plastic watch faces and eyeglass frames. However, despite some 8
> billion
> applications on humans so far, there have been fewer than 50
> documented
> cases of serious illness resulting from use of the repellent -- a
> track
> record that's far safer than that of, say, aspirin.

They didn't test catnip oil in that study, did they, only commercial
products? A University of Iowa researcher found that catnip oil was 10 times
more repellent than DEET (and repels roaches too - dual use!).

Again, not to take sides, since DEET clearly has it's place, but to present
all evidence:

A radio interview yesterday with a Duke University research doctor
illuminated his latest findings on DEET. DEET over long periods (He said a
week or more) DID affect the areas of the brain concerned with memory and
also (here I dredging from memory) fine motor skills. It killed cells, is
what he said.

Another finding of this latest research was that DEET in combination with
other medications, chemicals and ESPECIALLY IN COMBINATION WITH PEMETHRIN
was especially toxic. Don't some folks soak their gear in permethrin
solutions?

If this doctor's research is correct, and the latest findings, then the
above article, while accurate, is not accounting for the unseen damage,
perhaps. This damage is cumulative, the researcher said..

I have to leave for several days, but if someone is interested in tracking
this down or having me do so, it was on NC public radio, "The State of
Things". I recognize right now it's just hearsay.

Just looking at all the options.
--
    	Jan Leitschuh Sporthorses Ltd.

	Website: