[at-l] Grouse, was Dangerous turtles?

>>And Ginny has twice been attacked by Spruce Grouse - once in Colorado and
>>once in Montana.

Could it have been a Blue Grouse?

On the AT you only have Spruce and Ruffed Grouse, I think.  One spring we
were suprised by a hissing sound that I would have sworn was made by a cat
or snake, only to discover a frantic ruffed grouse that was standing her
ground and bravely protecting its its chicks.  We backed off, of course.
While all the othruer ffed grouse we have come across have been quick to
take flight, I continue to be amazed at how tame the Spruce Grouse we
encounter have been. I mean super tame.  Perhaps the Spruce Grouse in Maine
and NH are more laid back, or the ones you guys found out West had chicks to
protect like the ruffed grouse we found.

In any event, the Spruce Grouse is by far my favorite Trail bird.  For the
life of me I can't figure out why Maine went with the chicadee as a state
bird when they had such a great alternaive.

Rick B