[at-l] The Virtues Of Hammocks

I think I'm qualified, especially for the AT, to comment on the virtues =
of hammocks vs. tents and tarps.=20

I covered 250 miles of the AT with a very nice 2 person tent, stripped =
to its essentials, which I got down to 4 lbs.6 oz in weight. It kept me =
dry, sheltered from weather, and essentially bug free. Since cooking =
under a tent's fly is risky (risk of fire to the tent and also food =
odors trapped can draw animals, I didn't look for that feature. Still, =
it was the heaviest item in my pack.=20

I went to a 12x10 sil tarp after the first 250. I loved it. Total weight =
for the tarp was  14 oz, and pegs (aluminum gutter nails, which are =
strong and incredibly light) and a mylar 'space blanket' for a ground =
sheet only brough it up to 1 lb 4 oz.  I was always dry (not a hard =
trick) but occasionally bug bothered. It was also fussy to set up =
sometimes, and,  as with a tent, needed flat/smooth ground. I used my =
trekking poles to set it up. It had massive condensation from breathing, =
since sil-fabric won't breath, so every morning I either had to pack it =
"wet" or waste time drying it.=20

Recently I got a Hennessey Hammock, and have covered 150 miles in it, =
including snow and rain. It weighs (with 2 pegs) 1 lb 6 oz. I can set it =
up on rocky/brancy/rooty ground, since I'm suspended. If there aren't =
trees (rare on the AT, but on one bald I did this in Grayson Highlands =
(shhhh....no camping allowed, I know!), I use it as a bivy sack, and use =
my trek poles to "suspend" the guy line so I have a tent-like effect. It =
goes up faster than both my tent (a free standing one) or the tarp. It =
is screened, so no bugs. Excellent "breathing" with no condensation, =
since the sil-fabric fly is very well ventilated. I've been in 40 mph =
winds with rain, and been TOTALLY dry and warm. Temps down to 20s were =
acceptable with a sleeping pad on top of a space blanket.  Only =
drawbacks are: Can't put pack inside under cover, but the fly kept it =
dry. Can't have a lot of loose items (I velcro most of them) inside. =
Only room for one inside no matter what the emergency; hammock will =
break with weight of two.=20

Other hammocks have other features, but I gotta admit, this is one of =
the best engineered and designed items I've ever seen.=20
See my website at www.mediate.com/russboltz

multipart/mixed
  multipart/alternative
    text/html