[at-l] RE: Question about alcohol stove use

I have to admit that when I started my thru attempt in 2000, I started w/ a
Gaz iso-butane stove.  2 reasons:  1 - it was a xmas gift from my parents
and the first gear they ever bought me and they were doing my maildrops.  I
did put the Alcohol stove & esbit in the bounce and switched later.  2 = i'd
used it mostly on all my test hikes and really liked its convenience & ease
of use.  I decided i'll have enough to get used to on the trail and wanted a
hassle free stove to start w/.

I had a half used canister that I thought would be perfect and last the few
days to neels.  It lasted until Franklin the durn thing!  ;-)

I also have to admit I used it in the tent...  i had a nomad, I was worried
about it going up in flames, but I was basically hypothermic, drenched to
the skin and frozen from the sleet storm.  Knew I was in bad shape cuz I
wasn't feeling cold anymore... so, wanted to stay in my bag and keep the
down dry and just lit it up in the tent and heated cider.  Looking back - I
see it as just an example of the bad decisions you make when you are
hypothermic!  but - it did work well in that situation - easy to control
flame, stayed small, no burst to worry about, no priming etc.

cheerio