[at-l] Carter Notch Hut and Crawford Notch lodging in th Whites

>Question: Carter Notch hut is designated "self service'.  Just what is in
>the kitchen?  A working stove?  Utensils?  Pots and pans?  Anyone?

Should have all that.

>Since all the other huts will be hiked with day packs, what extra besides
>sleeping bag and food do I need to bring to Carter Notch?

Some would say you don't even need the bag, that sheets are enough.  They
give you a couple blankets at all the huts.  Including Carter?  Hmmm, now I
am not 100% sure.  I haven't taken any dedicated hut trips in the summer, so
that is just a second hand observation.  It was being discussed at either
the excellent www.viewsfromthetop.com or the AMC's www.outdoors.org site
recently.

>Another question: anyone got any recommendations for a B&B or motel in
>Crawford Notch? (The AMC hostel is closed at this time).

Depends on your budget, and what you want. I can't offer much in the way of
specifics, but here I will offer a general YMMV overview.  Going a few miles
North of the AT crossing and past where they are building the AMC visitor
center you will pass the Mount Washington Hotel.  It has a ton of history
associated with it (site of the Bretton Woods Monetary Conference), and
while it is real expensive to stay there by any standard, it might be worth
stopping in for a liesurly burger and brew at thier downstairs restaraunt if
you end up stuck in a cheap motel in the town of Twin Mountain, which has no
soul.

The hotels in Twin Mountain farther to the north are cheap and plentiful.
I've stayed at a couple in the winter and just picked them out on the
internet.  Not much to say, except they are stretched out along the highway.
  Even though the one's I have stayed at were OK, they are not worthy of
mentioning by name.

Immediately across from the Mount Washington Hotel is an upscale motel
called Bretton Woods "something".  Never stayed there.  It is closest to the
AT crossing, I think.  But nothing much is near it.  Looks a bit corporate,
for lack of a better term.

Heading south from AT crossing you will find a bunch of B & B's in the town
of Bartlet.  While there isn't much of a town there, I expect lodging there
has more character.  Plenty of B & B's, of all types.  Also a few older
motels.  All should be on the web.  The Bear restaraunt has a decent
breakfast.  Staying in Bartlet might also allow you to cut down on your
driving time if you head to the notch via Bear Notch Road, via the scenic
Kancamangus Highway, rather than down from the top, via Twin Mountain.

FWIW:
Don't forget about the AMC Shuttles and/or those that can be provided by the
Hiker's Paradise.

Rick B