[at-l] Clarification to nude hiking post

rick boudrie wrote:
>"I seem to recall that a nude hiker was purpoted to be involved in the in
>assualt in the Michaux State Forest a few years back, however."
>
>Reading my post, I think my statement above was poorly written.  IF I
>remember correctly, it was the male rapist that was naked.  Not the victim.
>  Didn't mean to suggest that.
>
>Point being, that a nude hiker with no evil intentions could cause some
>stress in fellow hiker's day.

Rick -
There were, in fact, two nude hikers - both female.  The "assaulter" was a
mentally retarded/emotionally disturbed teen-ager.  The "assault" took place
after the two women had repeatedly paraded nude in front of the teenager and
taunted him. He went home, got a .22, then came back and shot both of them.
One died. I don't recall that rape was involved at all - only stupidity on
both sides. Not a nice story - but not the ten-foot tall raving maniac male
rapist with a gun and/or knife as some people have been taught.  Yeah - ran
into one of the people who'd been taught that kind of c*** a couple years
ago - she was a prospective thruhiker and had an attitude problem.  We
worked through it.  She didn't finish the Trail, but she got what she needed
out of it.  That's success.

Your last statement is, for better or worse, right on target for most people
on the Trail.

Walk softly,
Jim