[at-l] Bandwidth

At 07:41 AM 6/12/2002 -0500, kahley wrote:

>At 12:58 PM 6/11/02 -0400, Raphael Bustin wrote:
>>kahley wrote:
>>
>> > It was a requirement doomed to fall since both Shane and I are known
>> to spend
>> > time, in the woods, sans Lederhosen.
>>

>>Just curious -- and I know I'm not the only one that's schizophrenic
>>about this issue -- but why is global warming considered off-topic, while
>>threads like this go on all the time, often for days at a time?
>
>Well...just off the top of my head, could it be that we have done the
>global warming thing over and over and it always ends up as contentious,
>divisive, bickering while the joke threads are always new and fresh and
>build list community?

What is a community?

If the "community" cannot withstand (let alone nurture) a healthy
debate on serious issues, then I have to question whether the term
is being used appropriately.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not objecting to the lighter threads at all,
but wondering why threads on serious topics can't be sustained --
and even broaching them is regarded as an act of disrespect or some
sort of faux pas.

rafe b.
aka terrapin