[at-l] (old) Bryson Interview

Raphael Bustin wrote:

> for the book.  The closing paragraph (Bryson's words)
> rang true, for me at least...  somewhat reflecting my own
> love/hate for the AT.  Read at least to the end of the
> paragraph, OK? <g>
>
>   "I hated 98.8 percent of it. There were moments of
>   genuine exultation when the sun comes out and spring
>   is coming and you crest a mountaintop and you get a
>   great view. But most of the time it's either just boring as
>   hell, or you're cold or wet or uncomfortable. Most of
>   the time if you're honest, you don't want to be there.
>   You want to be somewhere else where you are more
>   comfortable. I suppose it's like any kind of penance.
>   It's worth it because you get so much out of it. It's worth
>   it just for those moments of exultation. It's also worth it
>   for what you learn about landscape and yourself."

Wow.  I find it hard to understand why people who really hate
the trail that much would hike it.  Despite the "it's worth it"
parts, I think if I hated it 98.8% of the time I'd find something
else to do.  Activities I view as penance are activities I
avoid.. like washing the car,  or putting a new gasket in the
tractor.  Things to be done as necessary and with great reluctance.  :)

How many folks have a love/hate relationship with the AT?  I'm
curious.

-amy