Re[2]: [at-l] knee injury

In  my  experience most trail injuries stem from trying to do too many miles per
day, too quickly.

I  know, the temptation is strong. Katahdin is a long ways from Springer. We all
try to keep up with friends we meet on the trail.

A  walking  staff  helps, but not if it is used primarily to achieve more speed.
You can make big miles with a pair of poles -- until you reach that awkward spot
in  the trail, where your faster speed, creates a sudden and bigger wrenching of
a critical joint.

Hike  more  hours  per  day,  rather  than more miles per hour, and you are more
likely  to  reach  your  goal  without serious injury. I've had the advantage of
never  having  been  an  athlete.  I  therefore have never felt the challenge of
keeping pace with athletes. If you find yourself falling or almost falling while
hiking, you almost certainly are attempting to make more miles per hour than you
should to avoid needless injury.

Sharp  pointed  hiking  poles  are  great on dirt trails, where hiking poles are
least  needed,  but  tend  to  slip  on rocks, when they are most needed. A soft
rubber tip works best on rocks and okay on soil. They also do less damage to the
trail.

Weary

Bob