[OT] Antarctic Ice Bergs was Re: [at-l] Re: Maine land prices

> >For each "expert" who says the ice cap is melting, there is
> >another who says "yes...in some places while other glaciers
> >are growing...meaning the ice cap may be changing but not
> >melting as some believe.
>

> Any citations for the above?  I believe the vast bulk of the
> evidence is for a warming scenario.  Another big chunk
> of Antarctica just broke off a few weeks ago, in fact.

Late to the discussion.  I apologize if this has been dealt with already...

No cites for you, but - anecdotally, I spent time in the Antarctic in the
mid and late 60's.  Monumentally huge ice floes are nothing new.  I can
recall spending a full day chugging around the perimeter of one at 12 knots.

The difference is the satellite observations that spot the calving floes
(tabular bergs) quickly and which measure the size, drift rate, point of
origin, etc.  With that contemporary knowledge and an inherent bias toward
global warming, the press can trumpet another example of a warming trend
cause/effect.  Something akin to Chicken Little claiming the sky is falling.

Precipitation over the Antarctic land mass accumulates slowly but
inexorably.  The accumulated weight pressing down forces the leading edge of
the glaciers to move ever slowly away from the accumulated weight behind it.
As it moves over water and away from the land beneath the glacier, pieces
break off.  The rate at which this happens is variable from year to year,
from decade to decade, from century to century and age to age.  Natural
warming and cooling trends enhance and/or impede this movement.  Again,
nothing new.  I'm not yet ready to believe we have a global problem beyond
the natural ebb and flow the earth has always experienced.

Al (Draggin' Anchor)