[at-l] External-Frame Packs

> I wonder sometimes if I'm the only one out there
> who actually prefers external frame packs?

Well, despite a lot of experimenting recently, ALICE is
still the monkey on my back.  None of the internal frame
packs allow my back to breathe, and that's extremely
important to me down here in the swamp.  None of the
internals are as comfortable as my ALICE either...

I can't see shelling out the cash for a NEW external frame
pack (as Jansport) that is only a pound less than what I use
now and isn't more comfortable than what I'm using...

Bizarrely, ALICE is the only piece of surplus gear that I
HAVEN'T replaced...

> Curious if there are others out there who'd care
> to recommend a really good, up-to-date, thru-hike-
> worthy external frame pack?  Preferably from
> firsthand experience...

Yeah, I'd like that too.  Especially if it would come under
four pounds...  Saving three pounds might be attractive to
me.

A frame pack also allows you to do something that you can't
do with internals: a true sternum strap.  Not the thing that
connects your shoulder straps together, but something that
goes through the frame high up and comes around your torso
and clips at your sternum.  With a good hip belt and a good
sternum belt, you can completely detach the shoulder straps
if you want to.  This is important for me because of
bursitis in both shoulders.  Doctor says it's from too many
years of heavy loads.  I think it's genetic...

Shane

Shane