[at-l] Re: ALDHA AND AHS AND EARLS HIKE

At 06:44 PM 06/07/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Hmmm, so if I claim to have hiked the trail in 1937, then someone has to
>disprove that I did it for me *not* to be recognized as a thru-hiker?
>That sounds sort of backwards and not the way these things usually work,
>logically speaking.

The problem for many people is that when Earl completed his thru he wasn't
believed and was required to 'prove' it through examination of his journal
and photographs.  2000 miler status continued to require evidence until
1973 when the increasing numbers of successful completers taxed ATC's
resources for verification.  Since then ATC has 'taken their word for
it'.  When the alleged Boy Scout hike came up Mr. Gordon had an advocate
(Ed Talone) who campaigned to have the hike listed as the 1st thru-hike
despite the fact that it predated completion of the trail and there was no
evidence to support the claim.  The ATC listed the hike with the notation
that it was 'unproven' based on their post-1973 policy.  They continue to
refer to Earl as the 1st "solo" thru-hiker.

It is my opinion that this was a terrible decision on the part of the
ATC.  They set the standard for evidence with Earl and they should not
retroactively accept less from anyone alleging to predate his hike
especially since this was not just another thru-hike (not to degrade anyone
else's thru).  This is the history of the AT itself which is being altered
without evidence.  What if someone were to allege that his/her grandfather
had been a friend of Benton MacKaye and that MacKaye actually got the idea
from him.  Would the ATC rewrite the history to reflect that without a
shred of proof?  I think not.  Earl's memory deserves just as much
consideration.

sAunTerer