[at-l] Grand Unification Theory - WAS:Survival was Trail Etiquette

rafe wrote:
>At 06:38 PM 6/5/2002 +0000, Jim Owen wrote:
>
>>Life is fleeting, fragile, and ephemeral, but it's also inexorable.  I
>>have a picture of a single flower that was taken in the Wind River Range
>>in Wyoming.  That flower was the only living thing within hundreds of
>>yards - the rest was rock.  I walked away from there impressed with the
>>sheer persistence of life in an inhospitable environment.
>

>Don't need to go to Wyoming to see that.
>
>You can see it in the grass that pushes up through the cracks in
>a sidewalk, or the cracks in the pavement of a vacant lot or your
>driveway.  Life just wants to be, for some strange reason.

All true - but not quite the same/not nearly as impressive as seeing it at
12,000 ft in a glacial moraine.

>But death is never far behind, unless you're a Bristlecone pine.

Ahhh - but death waits patiently for even the Bristlecone.  Death is nothing
more than the final act of life - a doorway to exit this life and enter ---
what?  What do you believe?  Does it matter?  We'll all find out soon
enough.  In the meantime, living a half-life is unacceptable.  To quote a
fictitious character - Take big bites, moderation is for monks.

Death and I are old friends, rafe  :-))

Walk softly,
Jim