[at-l] Grand Unification Theory - WAS:Survival was Trail Etiquette

Rafe wrote:
>Not to put too fine a point on it, but in addition to the
>beauty and awe of nature, what I see in the woods is
>death, and reminders of my own mortality.  I see life in
>bewildering abundance, of course, but constant reminders
>that life is a fleeting, fragile, ephemeral thing.

Life is fleeting, fragile, and ephemeral, but it's also inexorable.  I have
a picture of a single flower that was taken in the Wind River Range in
Wyoming.  That flower was the only living thing within hundreds of yards -
the rest was rock.  I walked away from there impressed with the sheer
persistence of life in an inhospitable environment.

>Sometimes the best part of the day is kicking back and
>reading the shelter register (by tungsten light,) writing
>in my diary, or studying the map of the next days' hike.
>
>We're humans.  We write books, we make tools and we
>make art.  That's as natural as the trees & hills & rocks &
>roots, in my book.

Yep. There are those who would deny that.  They have no understanding of
their own nature.

Walk softly,
Jim